Job Title: Surface Mount Technology Operator
Department: Production Department
Reports To: Production Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: Responsible for monitoring, maintaining, and adjusting equipment used to create electronic circuits with surface mount technology (SMT). Responsible for both automated and manual surface mount manufacturing
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Sets up and monitor SMT Stencil printers, automated P&P, and reflow oven equipment to ensure that products are assembled properly.
• Performs SMT inspection prior to solder reflow, verifying the bill of material, drawings, and printed circuit board layout.
• Adjust SMT machine parameters on the line based on verifying drawings and production parameters.
• Inspects the products for quality and assures compliance to industrial and in-house specifications and standards using a magnifier, microscope, assembly drawings, and bill of materials.
• Operate surface mount machines, which includes understanding the sequence of events, the control panel, and indicators.
• Ensures proper and efficient utilization of raw materials.
• Replenish supplies and components per standard operating procedures, while maintaining inventory.
• Prepare the surface mount machine which includes machine adjustments and ability to perform set-up (feeder loading and changing).
• General area and machine cleaning and upkeep.
• Safe and efficient operation of the electronic component surface mount pick-n-place robots.
• Proper completion of all necessary paperwork to include maintaining accurate records on the machine log sheet using the correct operation numbers.
• Correct production of boards to include good placement of parts, no missing parts, correct part polarity, and correct parts.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
To perform the job successfully, the individual should possess the following capabilities.
• Analytical: Determine most efficient way to complete a task
• Problem Solving: Gather and analyze information skillfully to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
• People Skills: Focus on resolving conflict, not blaming, or displaying favoritism while maintaining confidentiality
• Oral Communication: Speak clearly and persuasively in all situations; listen and get clarification when needed
• Written Communication: Write clearly and informatively
• Teamwork: Balance team and individual responsibilities; contribute and encourage building a positive team
• Ethics: Treat people with respect. Work with integrity and uphold organizational values
• Organizational support: Follow policies and procedures. Display support of company goals and values
• Judgement: Exhibit sound and accurate judgement; support and explain reasons for decisions
• Motivation: Demonstrate persistence and overcome obstacles
• Planning/ Organizing: Prioritize and plan work and activities, use time efficiently, set goals and objectives
• Safety and Security: Observe safety and security procedures; report potentially unsafe conditions; use equipment and materials properly
• Adaptability: Adapt to changes in the work environment
• Professionalism: Treat others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accept responsibility for own actions
• Dependability: Follow instructions, respond to management direction; Take responsibility for own actions
• Innovation: Display original thinking and creativity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits a qualified applicant to perform the essential functions of the job are open for discussion.
• Mechanical assembly skills and soldering ability.
• A working knowledge of equipment used in surface mount technology operation and an understanding of electronics.
• Collaborators with effective communication skills and the ability to meet deadlines in a demanding environment.
• Good eyesight, hand and finger dexterity and the ability to perform repetitive tasks.
• Component identification.
• Reading and comprehension of component part markings and polarity.
• Interpret assembly drawings.
• Operate the Reflow Oven and record profiles.
• Coordinate maintenance schedule base upon production schedule.
• Computer proficiency and familiarity with word processing and spreadsheet programs is a plus.
• QUAD QSP-2 and DEK stencil printer experience is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of what an employee will need to perform to successfully do the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee will sit, stand, and walk frequently and use all senses for job performance. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 lbs.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job in a manufacturing facility.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
The preceding job description was designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.